Stepwise travel is a service that represents Indigenous and sustainable tourism projects that have been or are associated with Stepwise Heritage and Tourism.
Stepwise travel intends to raise awareness of new innovative tourism projects, and most importantly to attract clients who can provide a real customer experience to newly emerging Indigenous tourism products. We will provide the opportunity for adventurous travelers seeking very genuine cultural experiences to have the experience of a lifetime, and to contribute to community development through their efforts.
Stepwise travel is built around an ethos of responsible travel, represented by the concept of ‘two-way travel’. That is, travel where there is a strong element of reciprocity between hosts and visitors. These travel opportunities are learning experiences for all and can include:
- your travel experience being an opportunity for emerging Indigenous businesses to learn about tourism;
- your travel experience providing an opportunity for the Indigenous tour operator to further refine their product with clients who are supportive to the idea that the product is in its development;
- opportunities for highly personal and genuine interaction with Indigenous communities, families and individuals;
- unique access to Indigenous culture and country not usually or yet available to other travelers;
- cost effective prices that reflect the two-way nature of the relationship;
- an opportunity to ‘give back’ to local communities through structured feedback and discussion;
- opportunity to gain ‘first hand’ knowledge about economic development in Indigenous communities;
- opportunities for Indigenous communities to develop long-term relationships and networks with non-Indigenous people to assist in their social and business development; and
- opportunities for individual
and organisational philanthropy where meaningful and practical assistance
can support local Indigenous communities working hard to create their own
Stepwise travel does not act as a travel agent, but has relationships with
travel agents who can make necessary travel arrangements for our clients.
Travel opportunities associated with Stepwise travel include:
- Arnhem Weavers, Arnhem Land, NT. (Link: www.arnhemweavers.com.au)
- Bawaka Cultural Experiences, Arnhem Land, NT.
- Bungoolee Tours, Kimberley, WA.
- Roi Mata Cultural Domain, Vanuatu.
Please contact us if you are interested in visiting Indigenous communities to directly assist Indigenous economic development.